Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts] Should all new generic family names win over @font-face names? (#5001)

From: Chris Lilley via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 13:53:13 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
A similar issue in CSS Color was dealt with by making the author-supplied identifiers be dashed idents. I don't thinks we can do that here though, because the weight of existing usage is too great.  So yes, if we constantly make new generics then there is a risk that they clash with previously-ok  user supplied names. The only wiggle room we have is the use of quoting:

```css
@font-face { font-family: "serif"; ...}
html { font-family: "serif", serif }
```

This will use the webfont called "serif" and then as fallback the generic font family `serif`.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5001#issuecomment-728942065 using your GitHub account