Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-color] Separation / DeviceN color support (#2023)

From: Chris Lilley via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 17:00:44 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> When you create your N-color ColorSpace, you name all the inks. If your device has all those inks available┬╣, it will use them as specified.

The "naming" part troubles me. How do we know that a device has an ink corresponding to "random string".

> Orange: "Pantone Orange 021C" which is lab(60.8% 65.7 85.1)

The fact that I need to give a (poor) process equivalent to that orange, but can't give a colorimetric definition (like the Lab value) but only a string, also worries me. There is no way to reason about the resulting color. Its just as opaque as `device-cmyk` used to be (except we fixed that).

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2023#issuecomment-726877936 using your GitHub account