Re: [csswg-drafts] [mediaqueries] length units in video-* media features. (#5044)

From: Jon Piesing via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 11:31:25 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> Seems ok for full screen video cases, but its not great for video that's inline among other elements. Maybe TVs only render video in full screen (@jpiesing let us know)? Is that something we can rely on going forward?

@chcunningham Unfortunately it's more complex. TVs will;
- Display video intended to be full screen as full screen
- Scale video intended to be full screen either down to partial screen or up so that some of the video is cropped
- Display video intended to be partial screen as partial screen

Thjs is a little out of my area of expertise & this explanation may not be 100% correct but it's close ...
When I refer to video being "intended" be a particular size, one of the tricks used in video distribution is to reduce the encoded resolution but keep the decoded resolution unchanged. Video could have a decoded ("intended") resolution of 1920x1080 but an encoded resolution of 960x540.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by jpiesing
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5044#issuecomment-723032003 using your GitHub account