[csswg-drafts] [css-ruby] [editorial] Reconsider the use of the term "formatting context" (#5047)

From: Myles C. Maxfield via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2020 13:24:54 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
litherum has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-ruby] [editorial] Reconsider the use of the term "formatting context" ==
During the F2F this month, we're discussing many issues about ruby layout. In particular, we're resolving that line-height applies the same way it does for nested `<span>`s. It's already true that ruby participates in line justification within its containing line.

The term "formatting context" indicates a large amount of independence, but ruby seems to act more like `<span>`s than it does `float`s or `inline-block`s. Our layout team has been led astray by this term being used in the spec.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5047 using your GitHub account