Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-images-4] It's unclear what "intrinsic resolution" mean in 6.1 (image-resolution: from-image). (#4881)

From: Noam Rosenthal via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 16:59:37 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> Inches, mm (used in PNG), pixels and points all have fixed relationships in CSS values: 1in = 72pt = 96px. This applies in all media, print or screen. So provided the metadata specifies a resolution, it's unambiguous. If there is no resolution metadata, then a pixel is just a pixel: the resolution is 1dppx = 96dpi.
>
> As for the relationship between "CSS pixels" and _actual physical_ pixels, well that's a different matter altogether. See #614 - still going strong, despite being closed for two years.

Ok, so if I understand correctly - 72dpi in EXIF stands for Pt per inch, and is equivalent to 96dpi in css (which stands for px per inch). Thanks for the clarification!

--
GitHub Notification of comment by noamr
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4881#issuecomment-605113017 using your GitHub account