[csswg-drafts] Pull Request: [web-animations-1] [scroll-animations-1] Support automatic duration scroll animations #4862

From: Robert Flack via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 19:39:47 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
flackr has just submitted a new pull request for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [web-animations-1] [scroll-animations-1] Support automatic duration scroll animations #4862 ==
Change the implicit handling of auto duration animations to use the duration of the supplied timeline, giving ScrollTimeline an implicit duration of 100s corresponding to 100% of their progress.

I think this is about the minimum that could be done to support the use case and also doesn't significantly complicate web animations. While I like the idea of supporting arbitrary percentages specified in the future, it's easy to see how the specified duration 'auto' implicitly maps to 100% of the duration.

The only change to existing behavior is that no supplied animation duration would result in an infinite duration (from the DocumentTimeline) rather than 0 duration as defined today.

See https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/pull/4890