Re: [csswg-drafts] Time to assume implementations of CSS are using the DOM? (#4888)

From: Sam Sneddon via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 11:01:19 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@frivoal Fine for XML, not an issue; for other uses like Gtk3+ it really feels like someone needs to define how their model maps to the model in the spec, and I don't think it really makes any real difference whether that's the current vaguely defined thing or the DOM? I don't think describing it in terms of the DOM should be black-box observable for implementations that don't expose the document tree?

@faceless2 That sounds fine, really; as long as there's something isomorphic to the DOM it shouldn't be a problem.

Mostly I'm concerned about making sure things with shadow elements is well-defined in CSS, and we haven't added any notion of shadow elements to our document model as far as I'm aware, we just rely on hand-waving there.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by gsnedders
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4888#issuecomment-601117716 using your GitHub account