Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-shadow-parts-1] part should be a superglobal in the HTML spec (#3424)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 17:45:41 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
The reason is that [my blog post about abandoning @apply ](https://xanthir.com/b4o00) says precisely that. ^_^

The *motivating use-case* for @apply was passing bags of properties into custom elements, so you didn't have to reinvent all of CSS as custom properties just to allow arbitrary styling of something inside a shadow tree. *That* use-case was replaced by ::part().

The more general use-case of using @apply to compose classes, however, isn't addressed by this. (And @apply is still bad for that, for all the reasons I gave in my blog post. We probably want to eventually do [@extend](http://tabatkins.github.io/specs/css-extend-rule/) to address that case.)

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3424#issuecomment-594696556 using your GitHub account