Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-sizing-4] How does a max-height affect the inline size computed through an aspect ratio (#5257)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 23:50:46 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Yes, the max-height is definite, so it should get transferred across the ratio, and give a max-width of 50px, exactly like the image example. Unfortunately the current [aspect ratio constraint rules](https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visudet.html#min-max-widths) are written with the assumption that the aspect ratio of the actual content and the used aspect ratio are identical... so we need to write up some explicit rules about this. :/ (Whereas in this example, the AR of the actual content is `6 / 1`, different from the desired ratio of `1 / 1`.)

If we *don't* transfer this, then max-size properties basically don't interact with aspect-ratio at all, which sucks.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5257#issuecomment-651428068 using your GitHub account