Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-text] [css-inline] Define how to deal with inline backgrounds whose boundary falls into a ligature (#5251)

From: Koji Ishii via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 09:03:25 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> One interesting consequence of Chromium's approach is that you can't select the ligature individually...

Blink supports caret-and-selection-within-a-ligature by, currently, similar method as Gecko, but as @jfkthame pointed out, OpenType has a table for caret position within a glyph. Ideally we'd like to support that, but it hasn't happened yet. IIRC @litherum had a WIP for WebKit for this.

For painting, we don't apply this logic because while there are cases where this works good, like this example, as @jfkthame pointed out, there are cases where this looks strange. For example:
https://output.jsbin.com/tatovac

I think it's better to let authors clarify what they want. If authors want color/background correctly, like when they want to show diff in colors, they should apply `font-variant-ligature: none`.

In https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/5611, we discussed whether to apply `unicode-bidi: isolate` to `<ins>` and `<del>` or not, it looks like we prefer to let authors decide, because the desired behavior vary by authors' intentions. I think this is similar to that?

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5251#issuecomment-648694908 using your GitHub account