Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-inline-3] Alternative initial-letter-align based on glyph bounds (#5220)

From: Dave Cramer via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 13:43:39 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Yeah, one of our foundational rules in typesetting is visual consistency. The line-height should not change from page to page, even to fix widows or orphans. If I create a dropcap, its point size should not change depending which letter it happens to be. The whole idea of initial letters is aligning to the cap height and baseline, not taking up a certain number of lines of space.

This is also unlikely to be a large problem in implementations using Latin scripts, as initial letters are usually capitals, and capitals seldom have descenders.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by dauwhe
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5220#issuecomment-646025660 using your GitHub account