Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-inline-3] vertical-align: super and font metrics (#5225)

From: Mike Bremford via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 08:17:38 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
The metrics from the font are OS2 table are ySubscriptYOffset, ySuperscriptYOffset. They're ignored, and our testing notes have "Firefox uses 0.34em and -0.2em, Safari 0.333em and -0.2005em"

Another possibility is to incorporate this into https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4792 - you could have
```css
@font-face {
    font-family: ...
    superscript-position: auto;
    subscript-position: from-font;
}
```
where `auto` is current behaviour, `from-font` is strictly from the font OS2 table, or an absoute value could be specified.

I can see you're working through a lot of font metrics issues at the moment, which is great - I think many of them could be solved by implementing #4792

(earlier comment on this issue by me was posted too soon due to fat fingers - I deleted it)

--
GitHub Notification of comment by faceless2
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5225#issuecomment-645227824 using your GitHub account