Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-color-5] What's the use case for color-mix() per-component adjusters? (#5192)

From: Lea Verou via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 21:25:46 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@tabatkins All these use cases are about taking one component of one color and other components from another color verbatim without any interpolation, so using `color-mix()` for this feels like a hack, not like something that follows the author's mental model.

Perhaps we need to bite the bullet and add functions to extract individual color components? Preprocessors do have those.

> For example, specifying a primary color for a button, then letting the site's accent colors adjust to similar c+l

This is pretty much exactly the kind of use case the relative color syntax is for (which is separate from `color-adjust()`).

--
GitHub Notification of comment by LeaVerou
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5192#issuecomment-642935662 using your GitHub account