Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-text] Ability to control hyphenation of proper nouns/capitalised words (#5157)

From: Mathias Nater via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2020 19:41:10 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> this is only about whether hyphens: auto gets to attempt hyphenation. Explicit hyphens or &shy; should not be affected. If the author put them there, presumably they're intended to be used.

I beg to differ.
a) There are JavaScript tools that use soft hyphens everywhere, so they are not necessarily put there with intention.
b) The other hyphenation control properties seem to apply to both types of hyphenation (automatic or with soft hyphens, see https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5090).

In my opinion the new property should work in both cases...

--
GitHub Notification of comment by mnater
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5157#issuecomment-639074985 using your GitHub account