Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-writing-modes] 1. addition of "writing-mode:upright-tb;" 2. "HORIZONTAL-IN-VERTICAL TEXT" in this (#4921)

From: Florian Rivoal via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2020 01:49:41 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
It feels like this would be some kind of `text-orientation: forced-sideways` inside of `writing-mode: horizontal-tb`. But I'm kind of scared about the details of how that'd work. Is it identical to what text-orientation: upright` inside of `writing-mode: vertical-rl` would look, just rotated 90 degrees? For Kanji / kana, that seems to be the case, but how about punctuation? A vertical opening parenthesis rotated 90 degrees doesn't necessarily look the same as a horizontal parenthesis. Which of the two would we want? What does this do to non-Japanese text? Is there any interraction with bidi? Anything odd happening if you start putting text-decoration, text-emphasis, or ruby on these things?

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4921#issuecomment-638552808 using your GitHub account