Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-inline-3] shape-margin on initial-letters-wrap: first (#5117)

From: CSS Meeting Bot via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2020 23:49:21 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
The CSS Working Group just discussed `shape-margin on initial-letters-wrap: first`, and agreed to the following:

* `RESOLVED: shape-margin and shape-outside apply to initial letter wrapped inline boxes, modifying or replacing the shape of the glyph`

&lt;heycam> Topic: shape-margin on initial-letters-wrap: first<br>
&lt;heycam> github: https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5117<br>
&lt;heycam> fantasai: we resolved to allow shape-margin that wraps around the glyph, and wrapps all the lines around the shape<br>
&lt;heycam> ... the other values of initial-letter. one is first, which pulls the first line in and wraps it<br>
&lt;heycam> ... the suggestion was if we apply a shape margin to all lines when wrapping to the glyph shape, shouldn't you also allow it when wrapping the first line to it<br>
&lt;jensimmons> +1 from me to this<br>
&lt;heycam> ... proposal is to make shape-margin apply whenever you are wrapping to the glyph shape<br>
&lt;heycam> Rossen_: currently it's defined only to apply to floats<br>
&lt;heycam> fantasai: we should probably update to say it also applies to initial letter boxes<br>
&lt;astearns> +1 from me<br>
&lt;heycam> ... then define exactly how that works in initial-letter-wrap<br>
&lt;heycam> dbaron: presumably you want the same wording that you have for 'all'?<br>
&lt;heycam> ... [reads some spec text]<br>
&lt;heycam> fantasai: makes sense to me. apply shape-outside and shape-margin, and use that as a replacement of the glyph shape<br>
&lt;heycam> faceless2_: I agree that makes sense<br>
&lt;florian> +1<br>
&lt;dbaron> What I read was "If the value of shape-outside is not none, shape-outside is used instead of the glyph outline. In both cases, shape-margin is applied to expand the outline."<br>
&lt;dbaron> ... from https://drafts.csswg.org/css-inline-3/#valdef-initial-letters-wrap-all<br>
&lt;heycam> RESOLVED: shape-margin and shape-outside apply to initial letter wrapped inline boxes, modifying or replacing the shape of the glyph<br>
</details>

--
GitHub Notification of comment by css-meeting-bot
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5117#issuecomment-638519104 using your GitHub account