Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-variables] Substitution of invalid variables into other variables (#5370)

From: andruud via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 05:21:27 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I personally _don't_ agree with that, I think what we currently have now is the most consistent behavior. (Yes, there are arguments in both directions).

Since FF, Safari, Chrome and the spec now all agree, this ship has sailed in my opinion. Even if the spec did change, I'd be reluctant to change the behavior in Chrome (again); we shouldn't flip-flop between behaviors constantly.

If you want to avoid inheriting the (outer) value into some component, then explicitly set the custom property to `initial` at the component boundary. This is no different from other properties that inherit by default.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by andruud
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5370#issuecomment-665437619 using your GitHub account