Re: [csswg-drafts] Versioning policy and backwards incompatible changes (#5114)

From: Sam Sneddon via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2020 19:27:15 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> It is better than adding a reference and leaving the original text, because then people assume they should also read and mentally merge the original text and the new reference.

Or, worse, just implement the original text, which is downright harmful.

> And even that is better than adding a reference and also maintaining a special, subset version of the new reference, which is a huge amount of work and highly error prone.

FWIW, I think it varies how bad that is. Something like "background-image is defined in Level 3, except that its value is constrained to `<bg-image> | inherit` in Level 2" is fine.

I don't think the subset approach used in my PR for `<color>` is bad, FWIW, despite being slightly complex.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by gsnedders
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5114#issuecomment-660530295 using your GitHub account