Re: [csswg-drafts] [web-animations-1] Clarification about `target` and `pseudoElement` relationship (#4745)

From: Stephen McGruer via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2020 02:47:47 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
My understanding was that pseudo-elements conceptually always exist for every selector (even ones that aren't supported by the browser or spec'd anywhere). So the idea with the web-animation spec changes was that targeting, say, `::blargh` would target the conceptual pseudo-element with that selector (even if no browser would ever implement or create that).

In effect, of course, such animations do nothing, and so browsers would be welcome to optimize them (as long they still stayed around* in case, e.g. the user changed the target).

But yeah, like birtles I defer to others with pseudo-element knowledge :D.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by stephenmcgruer
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4745#issuecomment-583209330 using your GitHub account