Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-backgrounds-3] Adjustments to spec needed to implement rounded corner clipping of descendants (#5680)

From: fantasai via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 19:14:05 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@laukstein I can't load your testcase, but I'm guessing what you're doing is wrapping a replaced element in another element and expecting it to clip the corner. But the way `overflow: hidden` works in CSS is that it clips to the padding edge of the box (the inner border edge), not the content edge (inner padding edge). The border-radius property causes all of these edges to curve, yes but it doesn't change which one you clip to. (If you put a negative margin on content inside your box, you'll see that it does not clip when you shift it into the padding area. Border-radius doesn't change this fact.)

I'll file a separate issue about addressing the use case, though.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5680#issuecomment-746856834 using your GitHub account