[csswg-drafts] [css-overflow-3] Clarify when overflow-clip-margin has an effect (#5800)

From: vmpstr via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 17:08:34 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
vmpstr has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-overflow-3] Clarify when overflow-clip-margin has an effect ==
[overflow-clip-margin](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-overflow-3/#propdef-overflow-clip-margin) has some text when defining the value that reads as follows:

```
If the element does not have overflow: clip (or another property defined to
respect this property), this property has no effect.
```

I think it's ambiguous what `this` refers to when talking about another property:
Is this saying "another property that respects overflow: clip"
or "another property that respects overflow-clip-margin"

I think it's the latter. But in general, do we need this text? It seems like we can just define `overflow-clip-margin` as affecting `overflow clip edge` unconditionally. Then, if some property clips to `overflow clip edge` then it will be affected by `overflow-clip-margin`

For context, `contain: paint` is such a property that clips to `overflow clip edge`, and I think that it should be affected by `overflow-clip-margin`, but one can read it differently.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5800 using your GitHub account