Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-nesting] Allow more direct nesting delimiters (#5746)

From: Lea Verou via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 16:13:57 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> I may open another proposal to see if a plain `@` delimiter could be used as a substitute for `@nest`.

I would be opposed to a plain `@`, since there are many `@rules` that we've discussed adding inside CSSStyleDeclaration over time (e.g. `@if` or, the new defunct `@apply` are some that come to mind). Also, Nesting permits `@media` and `@supports` inside rules. A bare `@` would look very confusing, like an authoring mistake.

As for the proposal discussed here, I have no strong opinion. I do agree that Nesting in its current state is a bit verbose given [the frequency that nesting is used when it's allowed](https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5798) (e.g. preprocessors), which is hundreds of times per sheet. However, I would rather we focus on cases where we can get rid of `@nest` (5 characters if you include the space) than getting rid of one `&` character.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by LeaVerou
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5746#issuecomment-746557911 using your GitHub account