Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-color] Non-ICC color specifications (#5737)

From: Chris Lilley via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2020 04:29:17 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
As I [proposed CNS for CSS in 1996](https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1996Feb/0020.html) I am familiar with it, and the barrier to adoption remains the same - a mapping from name string to Munsell colors is alluded to in the paper but is not provided. I mailed the author at the time, and did not get a response.

So (unless someone did the work to create such a mapping) there is no way to get a colorimetric value from a given name. Which makes it a poor fit for the `color()` function, and more akin to how `device-cmyk()` was until we fixed it.

Similar problems for the proprietary NCS; the colorimetric values for each color are not available.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5737#issuecomment-736982487 using your GitHub account