Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-variables?] Higher level custom properties that control multiple declarations (#5624)

From: Lea Verou via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2020 00:19:49 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@emilio `--pill` might not be a good example, as it only needs to control one property, so indeed one `if()` serves that case just fine. However many of them need to control multiple, often across several rules. I listed a lot more in my original post. Also, once you have several of these custom properties controlling intersecting sets of properties, solving it with `if()` suffers from combinatorial explosion. Lastly, with `if()`, you need to provide an alternative (either explicitly or implicitly), whereas a lot of these are about additional "traits" that only set certain declarations when they are actually specified.

Idea: Would it be easier to implement if one was only able to set other custom properties in these conditionals?

--
GitHub Notification of comment by LeaVerou
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5624#issuecomment-736904163 using your GitHub account