Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-variables?] Higher level custom properties that control multiple declarations (#5624)

From: andruud via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2020 19:21:16 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
(... interpreting that upvote as a "yes"):

Having selector matching (`@if-var` is not very different from a nested `:if-var`) depend on computed-value-time things adds far too much complexity, even if it's not impossible.

IMO if we want to if-else on custom properties, then that evaluation needs to happen computed value time, i.e. if-else needs to be part of the value. Or we need something which translates into effectively doing that internally. _Or_, we add a new kind of custom property which can be known selector matching time.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by andruud
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5624#issuecomment-736764332 using your GitHub account