Re: [csswg-drafts] [selectors] New universal selector including tree-abiding pseudo-elements (#4565)

From: Oriol Brufau via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 16:43:36 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I already thought about `::*`. The problem is that it seems to me that the main use case is being able to select both elements and full-fledged element-like pseudo-elements. But `::*` seems to only select pseudo-elements, not elements. And it seems to select *all* pseudo-elements, which could be a forwards compatibility concern when adding new pseudo-elements; restricting the selector to tree-abiding pseudo-elements could be safer. Also, IMO `::*` looks like it's only selecting direct pseudo-elements, not nested ones.

So I'm not that convinced about `::*`. But I guess it could do the trick after addressing #2284, so that we can use something like `#foo > .bar + baz:is(*, ::*)`.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4565#issuecomment-679240457 using your GitHub account