Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-pseudo] Problems with styling ::first-letter with punctuation (#2040)

From: fantasai via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 01:42:10 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Agree that before vs. after needs to be built into the pseudo, not a pseudo-class, because if we go with the idea that it is a tree-abiding pseudo-element, then there are potentially multiple pseudos representing the leading punctuation if there are element boundaries in there.

Wrt `::letter-only`, would be nice to pick a word that worked with `::marker`, if that's in fact the direction we want to go in eventually. Either way, I'd drop `-only`.

Wrt color, if we implement `fill` on CSS generally, you could do it like

```
::first-letter { fill: fun-color-here; }
::first-letter::punctuation { fill: currentColor; }
```

:) But that wouldn't solve for font family changes, so you're probably right that we need to have `::letter` be separate somehow. This is all getting very complicated. :/

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2040#issuecomment-671675108 using your GitHub account