Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-values]: Express conditional values in a more terse way (#5009)

From: Jonathan Neal via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2020 03:39:13 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Do I correctly notice two distinct features being proposed within all of these suggestions? One being a preferable syntax, and evaluate-able features?

For terseness of code, the `nth-value()` expression seems like the best fit overall, especially when I compare it against [the examples for either `switch()` or `@switch`](https://gist.github.com/tabatkins/7d0d55fe08812d28cc46bed40b9deacb)). However, both `switch()` and `@switch` happen to bring **element queries** along for the ride. That’s a pretty big deal. So, for me, this starts to smells of a false choice, where I’m comparing a syntax feature (terseness as readability) with a characteristic feature (element queries).

--
GitHub Notification of comment by jonathantneal
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5009#issuecomment-670817857 using your GitHub account