Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-sizing-4] Should we mention aspect-ratio in margin collapsing? (#5328)

From: fantasai via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2020 21:45:18 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
CSS2 specifies in https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/box.html#collapsing-margins the following condition for top & bottom adjoining margins:
> top and bottom margins of a box that does not establish a new block formatting context and that has zero computed 'min-height', zero or 'auto' computed 'height', and no in-flow children

In the case of applying aspect ratio, the *computed* height is clearly not zero, or else we would be ignoring the aspect ratio. Only the used height is.

That said, CSS2 has no way to distinguish the above condition vs the same condition with s/computed/used/.

So the question now becomes, should margin collapsing be checking for a zero *used* height instead?

CC @dbaron

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5328#issuecomment-668840592 using your GitHub account