Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-color-4] [css-backgrounds-4] text system color conflicts with background-clip (#4465)

From: L. David Baron via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 01:47:41 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I'd note that it seems likely that one reason implementations differ here is that the level of css-backgrounds ([level 4](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-backgrounds-4/)) that defines `background-clip: text` doesn't define the `background` shorthand, so different implementers have made different decisions as to what to infer that level 4 will say about the `background` shorthand once it includes it.

I'd note that another option is to say that not all `background-clip` values can be specified in the `background` shorthand.  I think this wouldn't be the first case where the shorthand is not serializable from a set of longhands (e.g., lists of mismatched length).

I'd also note that "make this behavior change" isn't super-clear, since you need to define the behavior of:
* `background: text text`
* `background: blue text`
* `background: padding-box text`
* `background: blue padding-box text`
* `background: padding-box padding-box text`

I think renaming the `text` system color to something more specific is probably a good idea anyway, though, since there are already a bunch of other `*Text` system colors, so having one that's just `Text` is a little odd.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by dbaron
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4465#issuecomment-547703265 using your GitHub account