Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts] Proposal to extend CSS font-optical-sizing (#4430)

From: Myles C. Maxfield via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 16:23:12 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@robmck-ms

> I'd been assuming that the term 'typographic points' you'd used referred to physical points. E.g. if I put a typographer's ruler on the screen

No. There are 3 distinct coordinate systems here:

1. CSS Units
2. OS / Typographical Units
3. Physical Units (as measured with a ruler)

The conversion between 1 and 2 is arbitrary, and browser features ("layout zoom") have even been built on top of this arbitrary conversion.

The conversion between 2 and 3 is arbitrary, because manufacturing processes are physical, constrained phenomena.

Optical sizing occurs in the 2nd coordinate system, because it A) has to match the rest of the system. I make no claims about anything that happens in the 3rd coordinate system.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by litherum
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4430#issuecomment-547508309 using your GitHub account