Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts] What does fangsong map to for non chinese text (#4425)

From: Florian Rivoal via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 15:29:45 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> The word "fangsong" indicates very specific style for CJK users. Mapping to any other typefaces looks very strange to me.

As currently defined, it has to map to something, as it is a generic font family type that always matches. If we keep that, we really should say what it maps too. Having fangsong match serif outside of the CJK range doesn't sound much worse to me than saying that "serif" matches "mincho" (which we already do).

However, changing it being more normal and allowing fallbacks, so that the authors can pick what they want if the fangsong font doesn't cover their language also sounds ok to me.

(as for math and emoji, I'm not sure I understand how they work: emoji isn't a style of font, it's a subset of Unicode... but that's probably a separate topic)

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4425#issuecomment-543230253 using your GitHub account