Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-transforms-2] Is it necessary to serialize all 3 components of translate given the 3rd component is 0px (#3305)

From: Chris Harrelson via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2019 05:43:30 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> This issue is about the `translate`, `rotate`, `scale` properties, not the `transform` property's functions. The suggestion is not that Blink change the `transform` property "non-binding hint" behavior; simply that `translate` etc. need not carry that behavior forwards as there is no web-compat need; authors can use `will-change` (or a paused animation) as a standards-based approach.

That's true, but it seems to me it would be simpler to implement and more consistent for developers to just get rid of the current translateZ(0) hints. I think we will probably be able to do so now that GPU raster is pervasive, and there is an easy fix for a site which regresses performance.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by chrishtr
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3305#issuecomment-539842167 using your GitHub account