Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-pseudo-4] clarify relation of floats to whether or not a ::first-letter exists (#4392)

From: Mike Bremford via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2019 09:42:53 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Not an official response, but below is how we've implemented it and (as I recall) it it matched our comparative testing with the browsers, with regard to first-letter at least.

Floats are not classed as being "on a line", so are as transparent as absolutes. The selector applies to the incoming node tree, so there's no ambiguity if, once the selector has matched and been applied, the box it generates is also floated.

The `initial-letters` bit you refer to _does_ refer to the box tree, but (with the restriction you noted, that it cannot apply to a first-letter which is _itself_ floated) it's effectively the same thing, provided that - as stated above - floats are not classed as being "on a line".

--
GitHub Notification of comment by faceless2
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4392#issuecomment-537418617 using your GitHub account