[csswg-drafts] [css-scrollbars][css-scrollbars-1] What about a pseudo-element? (#4547)

From: Cadienvan via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 12:36:59 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Cadienvan has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-scrollbars][css-scrollbars-1] What about a pseudo-element? ==
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-scrollbars-1/

It's my first time posting an issue here so sorry if I'm doing something wrong.

In my opinion, scrollbars are pretty important and have been a really big issue for us developers for a long time. I just saw this spec for the 1st time and wondered: "Why is this spec related to container element properties? Isn't it better to push it as a new pseudo-element, following the [::-webkit-scrollbar](https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/::-webkit-scrollbar) non-standard spec?"
In that way, we could achieve cleaner code such as:
```
::scroll-bar{
  ...my style
}
```
instead of styling our scrollbars in every single element with the universal selector `*`.

As I see this spec is already in stage 1, I wonder if such a discussion has already taken place and, if it did, why did the csswg go in the properties direction.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4547 using your GitHub account