Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-lists] How should spaces be treated in markers? (#4448)

From: Mats Palmgren via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2019 15:42:38 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Replying to @faceless2 points above:
> 1. If spaces are in ::marker, they're there because the stylesheet explicitly listed them

True, but it's also trivial for authors to use a non-collapsing space if that's what they want: `\A0`.

> 2. Markers are aligned against the first in-flow linebox descendent of the list-item

Currently, outside markers are aligned outside the inline/block start/start edge but I think we should enable authors to align the marker elsewhere in the future, for example `::marker { align-self:center/end }` to align it in the block-axis. I think it would be a mistake for the spec to assume that these lineboxes are always going to be edge-to-edge like they currently are.

> ... I am pretty certain they also contribute to the height of that linebox - i.e. the initial list-item linebox is as at least as high as the marker

That doesn't preclude supporting multi-line markers though. We could use the first linebox in the marker to implement that legacy behavior.

> 3. inside positioning just generates a regular inline

Agreed, an inside marker should just be a normal inline box by default.  I'm strongly in favor of allowing authors to style it with `display` etc though, to achieve whatever layout **_they_** want.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by MatsPalmgren
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4448#issuecomment-552111434 using your GitHub account