Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-transforms-2] proposal new transform-style: detached (#4242)

From: abalasubramaniyan-ml via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2019 19:36:44 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I think I understand now.

Under your proposal, it makes sense to prevent detaching descendants of flattening nodes.
But, assuming we had multiple descendants without flattening ancestor under a root with transform-style: preserve-3d, how do we identify which of these should be rendered on detached surfaces?

1) Each to its own surface - I cannot think of any obvious negatives, but it does not seem like a good idea.
2) Only descendants with transforms that lift it out of the page - This introduces some corner cases. Like do we still detach if it has two ancestors, one which lifts it out with translatez and another which puts it back with z=0?

I believe explicitly declaring that these nodes are detached would avoid these issues.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by abalasubramaniyan-ml
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4242#issuecomment-551962363 using your GitHub account