Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-grid] Do all percentages behave as auto when computing minimum contribution? (#3612)

From: Oriol Brufau via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 12:37:24 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> This isn't specific to Grid/Flex layout, a simple float will do

OK, not restricted to Grid/Flex. I guess your example with `width: 200%` doesn't behave as auto either according to the "new definition", but note it was undefined behavior in CSS2. I think in CSS2 there was no case in which a percentage behaved as auto at some points and not at others?

> From the top of my head, I can't think of a single case where a percentage size does not have a definite percentage basis at least at some point

For example, `block-size: 200%` in block layout, when the container has an auto size. It behaves exactly as `block-size: auto`. The percentage is not resolved once we know the size of the containing block.

> that term captures too much since all percentages depend on their percentage basis

This is true in general, but at this step of css-grid the percentage basis is never known, so capturing all percentages seems fine. We can't have `100%` of `100px` because we don't know the size of the grid area, so it will be `100%` of undefined.

Anyways, for discussing the exact definition of "to behave as auto" it may be better to file a new issue against css-sizing.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3612#issuecomment-549334717 using your GitHub account