Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-shapes] Allow new formatting contexts to be sized based on *bounding* float-area. (#1970)

From: Ian Kilpatrick via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2019 18:31:16 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@aethanyc Yes - this is the fundamental difference between performing layout upon line-boxes, vs. new formatting contexts.

With line-boxes you can safely assume that given a smaller `available inline-size`, the `block-size` of the resulting line-box will stay the same, or decrease.

With a new formatting context you can't assume the final `block-size` given some `available inline-size` - you need to perform a full layout. This is only going to increase in complexity as engines get things like `aspect-ratio`, `min()` / `max()` functions, (and potentially some variants of container queries). (E.g. this relationship between `inline-size` and `block-size` is some unknown piecewise function).

But back to my original point :) - performance cliffs in the platform like this are bad for users. We've been shipping this behaviour for quite a while now, and determined that there wasn't any compat issues or demand for this feature.

This decision made with #2452 was subtly different, we had compat issues to deal with which is why we went down that path.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by bfgeek
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1970#issuecomment-549069358 using your GitHub account