Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-values-4] Should physical units in specified values in calc() collapse into px unit when serialized? (#3741)

From: Gérard Talbot via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 21:16:08 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> this is testing _specified_ value, not computed. None of these should be combined at specified-value time, per spec

You are probably correct. But, as edited, the spec is difficult to figure out regarding this particular matter. Even after careful and methodical re-reading, it is difficult to be sure.

> the units should just get sorted.

Firefox 68 is the only browser that reliably sorts terms by their units in alphabetical order.

One question. Let's say we have
`calc(5mm + 6cm)`
What could be or should be the best/ideal serialization of specified value with such terms?
a) `calc(6.5cm)`
b) `calc(65mm)` // Most Europeans and Asians would go for such combination, I guess, otherwise would be enclined to go for such simplification
c) `calc(6cm + 5mm)` // This is what the spec currently proposes: just order the terms
d) `calc(5mm + 6cm)` // no change: the web author would not be upset about this sort of "noninterference policy". It is possibly the easiest to implement
e) `calc(245.669px)` // what all browsers currently do right now
My opinion is that each of these 5 serializations are possible, reasonable and coherent within a point of view.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by TalbotG
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3741#issuecomment-478152225 using your GitHub account