Re: [csswg-drafts] [cssom-view] Consider adding Element.scrollParent (#1522)

From: Oria via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 15:32:55 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Use cases I personally needed (and used jQueryUI for them):

1. Sticky `th` elements must have a very accurate `top/bottom` value to work properly. I used `scrollParent` to calculate the correct values.

2. Infinite scroll based content widget. On mobile the widget is inserted directly to the body, but on desktop it is inserted inside a scrollable div. I used `scrollParent` to attach the events to load the list.

3. Video player that pauses when scrolled out of view. The video player can be included anywhere, so it must use `scrollParent` to attach the proper events and check if it is in view, and how far down/up it is scrolled away.

4. Lazy loading ad widgets.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by oriadam
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1522#issuecomment-474426633 using your GitHub account