[csswg-drafts] [css-fonts] consider not making font-min-size and font-max-size affect font-size computed value (#3739)

From: Emilio Cobos Álvarez via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 20:25:42 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
emilio has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-fonts] consider not making font-min-size and font-max-size affect font-size computed value ==
Spec: https://drafts.csswg.org/css-fonts-4/#propdef-font-min-size

I think these two properties should only affect the used font-size value, not the computed one.

It's a bit weird that, as specified, `font-min-size`s computed value affects `font-max-size`s _used_ value, but `font-size`s _computed_ value.

Affecting the computed value implies that it also affects font-relative lengths. This causes unintended consequences when users override it with a larger font size, like:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=937689

In Gecko the user-preferred minimum font-size only affects the used font-size, which I think has less potential to break websites.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3739 using your GitHub account