Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-selectors] Reference selectors (#3714)

From: Giuseppe via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 16:39:12 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@bkardell oh yes sorry, I fixed the links. I meant to comment on using css aliases (selectors) to define references. I am not sure how one would enforce "consistent specificity" and how we would distinguish between regular class aliases and references. Unless you meant a new extension eg. `@reference :--foo` or a custom at-rule. Either ways it seems that JS would be a requirement for those and they aren't SSR-friendly. One of the reason why people still prefers CSS in JS over Shadow DOM is that the former can be pre-rendered on the server.

> To me, it feels very hard to discuss without sorting some of the things I asked above - these and more are kind of listed as '..?" unknowns in the opening post.

I agree and would like to know the answers to those questions too :)

--
GitHub Notification of comment by giuseppeg
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3714#issuecomment-471321912 using your GitHub account