Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-values] String concatentation (#542)

From: Brad Kemper via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2019 20:21:02 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
`string()` already produces strings, and is understandable to css authors. I would rather not have `string()` produce a string one way, and `text()` produces a string another way. I would rather just extend `string()`. It seems doable. If the argument is an identifier that matches a string-set, then parse it as existing `string()`. Otherwise, coerce space-separated arguments into a string. Then allow this string to be used anywhere that strings are allowed.

I don’t buy the argument that CSS authors don’t know what “string” means. If that was the case, we shouldn’t have used it for GCPM. We have it there now, it exists, and it can be the single tool that authors reach for when they need a string.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by bradkemper
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/542#issuecomment-468956654 using your GitHub account