Re: [csswg-drafts] [cssom] Don't use "applies to" to define getComputedStyle behavior (#3678)

From: Amelia Bellamy-Royds via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 22:20:27 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@emilio, see the discussion in https://github.com/w3c/svgwg/issues/349.  The general consensus was consistency of author expectations (as in https://crbug.com/772707).  Most properties that accept a length convert it to px when retrieved from `getComputedStyle()`.

But, the current behavior in Blink results in an inconsistency between width/height (resolved value is used value, AKA always px) and the other SVG geometry properties (resolved value is computed value).

For this issue, the question is: How can we define the legacy requirements for resolved value in a way that is independent of "applies to"?  Only then can we talk about whether there are contexts where a property applies to an element, but there is no legacy requirement for returning used values in `getComputedStyle`.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3678#issuecomment-505203373 using your GitHub account