Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts] system-ui-serif, system-ui-monospaced, and system-ui-rounded (#4107)

From: Jen Simmons via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 12:07:29 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I agree with Myles on this.

The usecase for `system-ui`, `system-ui-serif`, `system-ui-monospaced`, etc is different than the usecase for `serif` or `monospaced`.

By using a `system-ui-*` font, an Author is asking the browser to pick fonts that match the Operating System, knowing that if/when the operating system changes it's fonts, their website/app will be changed as well. It's stating an intention to blend into the OS.

By using a generic `serif-` or `monospaced`, and Author is saying, give me whatever is available in this browser, I can't really care what it is, just give me something that works in the serif/sans-serif/monospaced bucket of fonts. This is used most commonly as a fallback. Authors state: I want this fancy webfont I'm providing, or if that didn't download then please use this particular built-in-the-browser font, but if you don't have that font, then please at least pick some sans-serif font. In that usecase Authors are _not_ expecting their project to suddenly then match the OS. In fact ,it's likely they do not want their project to suddenly match the OS' typography.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by jensimmons
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4107#issuecomment-516820485 using your GitHub account