Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-syntax] Trim whitespace around declarations? (#774)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 19:56:42 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
`--foo: ;` also doesn't violate the core grammar; it [parses as a declaration](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-syntax/#consume-a-declaration) just fine.

Being able to substitute into nothing is necessary; for example, a variable might control whether a box-shadow is inset or not, and the only way to represent "not inset" is by outputting nothing. ^_^ We've got several instances of this in CSS, where some value is indicated only by the absence of other values. (I don't really like this, and try to design properties to have all states representable by affirmative values, but I don't always win and we've got a lot of legacy properties...)

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/774#issuecomment-515191434 using your GitHub account