Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-media-queries] Foldables support and enablement (#4141)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 22:12:19 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Yes, I assume that, in cases like the folded-phone where it's just "small screen with folded edge" vs "large screen, normal edges", we can specify that safe-inset will communicate the size of the fold-region so you can avoid it if that's all you're worried about.

--------

So my thoughts right now are:

1. Specify that `env(safe-area-inset-*)` should take folds into account, letting you avoid positioning anything on the fold.
2. Might be useful to add a `fold-side: [top | bottom | left | right | inline-start | ...]` MQ, which can match multiple of those values, to communicate which edges are folded if you want to adapt your UI to take advantage of the fold.
3. Investigate the multiple-display-area issue: how are they exposed to pages on current devices, what information might authors need from that, and is that information amenable to MQs or more suited for a specialized JS api.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4141#issuecomment-513974747 using your GitHub account