Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts] system-ui-serif, system-ui-monospaced, and system-ui-rounded (#4107)

From: Koji Ishii via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 11:32:19 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I support the proposal.

IIUC @AmeliaBR's points apply not only to this proposal but also to the original `system-ui`. At that point, we understood two different web author's voices:
1. Wanting to use user's favorite generic families.
2. Wanting to use the same fonts as other native applications.

We resolved generic families to serve for 1, while `system-ui` to serve for 2. When certain number of web authors wanted to create app-looking pages, adding `system-ui` had a clear benefits over hard-coding system font names of all major operating systems in their CSS.

Because the motivation for `system-ui` is to give the same capability as applications to the web, when applications got new capabilities, I think it's natural and necessary to allow the web to use them.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4107#issuecomment-511195011 using your GitHub account