Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-inline] baseline synthesis: add ideographic embox and baseline offset (#1961)

From: Dave Cramer via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 00:55:01 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> Ideographic character face, as described, is not that useful as a baseline for text, and I would recommend it be eliminated from the baseline selectors.

We don't currently have baselines for ICF top or bottom. The only mention (apart from the synthesis section) seems to be in the definition of [`ideographic-ink`](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-inline/#valdef-leading-trim-over-ideographic-ink), where it does appear to be a useful way to get the top of the text ink to align with the top of another box.

There does seem to be an open question on how to obtain necessary metrics from CJK fonts that lack them. And of course there's the original question of what baselines are needed :)

--
GitHub Notification of comment by dauwhe
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1961#issuecomment-467678068 using your GitHub account